Omega 3 fish oil benefits have become well known and documented, and thus – people all over the world use fish oil daily. However, it is essential to understand the nature of the supplement before use, and also for those of you who are doubtful and are novice health supplement consumers.
Alarming Omega 3 Fatty Acid Statistic: the Majority of Americans Are Deficient in Omega-3′s.
If you don’t know already, fish oil contains 2 special fatty acids known as Omega-3 fatty acids – eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) respectively. These are both essential fatty acids for human health – both fatty acids are backed up and proven through many different scientific researches.
The problem is the human body does not produce these important fatty acids naturally and therefore, the only way to get them in to our physical system is to obtain them either directly from fatty fishes like salmon, bluefish, menhaden, etc., or – via certain supplement products…
Out of the above choices, the former method is not recommended anymore due to the presence of toxins and other contaminations in the fishes. Hence, the second option has become more popular and is said to be more beneficial, as there are certain supplements that do not possess any form of contaminates. (Molecularly distilled Omega 3)
We can also go straight for the known health benefits with special capsules and avoiding that – “fishy taste” – common with many brands of fish oil.
Let’s look at the various Omega 3 fish oil benefits that we can achieve through special supplements:-
- One major health advantage that one can obtain from the use of Omega-3 fish oil is that it helps in the reduction of triglycerides by up to 50 %. This is important and may help prevent heart disease as well as the on set of diabetes . Considering this health benefit - even the FDA approved and recommended certain fish oil supplements recently.
- According to recent research, omega 3 is said to be good for lowering the risk of heart attacks. Not only this, but many believe it to be better than the contemporary drugs meant for controlling higher cholesterol levels.
- The EPA and DHA in fish oil can increase both male and female fertility. Fish oil balances your hormones, improves hormonal levels and increases blood flow to the uterus…
The omega-3 fatty acids found in fish oil can also contribute to improved male fertility. Omega-3s are abundant in the sperm and DHA is especially prevalent in the sperm tail and may play a role in sperm motility.
- Another benefit of Omega-3 fish oil is that it can reduce high-blood pressure in a person very effectively because of its ability to expand the blood vessels.
- Many people with depression and other known mental health problems have been found to have lower levels of essential fatty acids in their blood. Recent studies show that fish oil may be beneficial in the treatment of depression.
- One of the well-known Omega-3 fish oil benefits is its ability to deal with the ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) a problem in children during their schooling ages. Parents often tend to employ the use of fish oil supplements in order to raise the attention and consciousness in their children.
- The Prevention of stroke… another significant health benefit of fish oil. However, some researchers disagree with this and say that the high consumption of fatty fishes or supplements may actually increase the risk of strokes! (Consuming the correct dosage will avoid this)
- Decreases pain and inflammation… Consuming Fish oil moderately decreases exercise-related inflammation in fit men, says a study by R.J. Bloomer et al., at the Department of Health and Sport Sciences, The University of Memphis. Omega 3 fatty acids, particularly EPA, have a very positive effect on your inflammatory response.
- Studies suggest that the fatty acids found in some fish promote ideal brain function…Increasing the amount of omega-3s you consume may improve ones memory and general IQ.
There would appear to be a growing body of evidence to the effect that omega-3 fatty acids can help to prevent the promotion and progression of certain cancers. They stop the alteration from a normal healthy cell to a cancerous mass, inhibiting unwanted cellular growth and causing apoptosis, or cellular death, of cancer cells.
- Omega 3 fish oil believed to be beneficial for treating rheumatoid arthritis in some people.
- Fish oil can slow down or reverse the process of atherosclerotic plaques.
Lets look at some opinions on DHA Omega 3 fish oil benefits from important and valuable sources from professionals in the nutrition field:
“Coronary heart disease is a significant health problem that causes 500,000 deaths annually in the United States,” said Dr. Lester M. Crawford, Acting FDA Commissioner. “This new qualified health claim for omega-3 fatty acids should help consumers as they work to improve their health by identifying foods that contain these important compounds.”
- FDA Announces Qualified Health Claims for Omega-3 Fatty Acids, September 8, 2004
“Omega-3 fatty acids are beneficial because they provide fluidity to cell membranes and improve communication between brain cells. Omega-3s also reduce the clotting ability of platelets, thus potentially decreasing the incidence of heart attacks and strokes.
Two very important omega-3 fatty acids are eicosapentanoic acid (EPA) and docosahexanoic acid (DHA). They are found in seafood, especially mackerel, salmon, striped bass, rainbow trout, halibut, tuna, and sardines. In the body, DHA is found mostly in the brain, retina, and in sperm. DHA plays an important role in vision. B) Omega-6 fatty acids are made from linoleic acid, a fatty acid found in vegetable oils such as corn, safflower, cottonseed, and sunflower.
Mayonnaise and salad oils normally contain a great amount of omega-6 fatty acids. Unlike omega-3s, which are concentrated in the brain, omega-6s are found in most tissues in the body. The double bond of an omega-6 fatty acid starts six carbons from the left. Most Americans generally have a much higher intake of the omega-6s than the omega-3s.”
- Mind Boosters by Dr Ray Sahelia MD, page 69
“One of the most important of these fats is called docosohexiaonic acid or DHA. This fat plays an important role in the formation of the synaptic connections within the brain. These connections allow the various parts of the brain to communicate with each other and communicate with the body as well.”
- Health And Nutrition Secrets by Russell L Blaylock MD, page 34
“Adequate levels of DHA are required for proper brain and eye development and function. DHA is important for signal transmission in the brain, eye, and nervous system”.
- Heart Disease by Burton Goldberg, page 46
“Essential fatty acids are important in both stroke prevention and during the repair of brain tissue damaged by stroke. The brain is almost entirely composed of fatty acids. The Framingham study confirmed that the friendly fats have a beneficial effect on stroke prevention. Essential fatty acids include alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) found in perilla and flaxseed oils and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) found in cold-water fish oil.
Fish oils reduce inflammation due to their high content of DHA and EPA. Fish oil acts as platelet aggregation inhibitors as well as triglyceride lowering agents”.
- Disease Prevention And Treatment by Life Extension Foundation, page 533
“DHA is not only very critical in brain development but also in maintenance of the brain later in life. Don’t forget, the brain is constantly restructured throughout life, even into the extremes of age. Unfortunately, because of food-processing methods and industrial raising of animals as meat sources, most omega-3 fatty acids have been removed from our foods”.
- Health And Nutrition Secrets by Russell L Blaylock MD, page 315
“Fish oil is probably the most important dietary source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are vital nutrients. These fatty acids reduce inflammation, protect against the abnormal clotting associated with heart attacks, inhibit cancer, and protect brain function. There may be other benefits, too: a 1992 study published in the journal Lancet, for example, suggested that omega-3 fatty acids prolong pregnancy by a few days and improve birth weights”.
- Ask Dr Weil by Andrew Weil MD, page 92
“The basic building blocks of our brain cells are essential fatty acids such as EPA and DHA from fish oil. These fatty acids are also used as fuel for brain metabolism and help control the chronic inflammatory processes involved in degenerative brain disorders”.
- Disease Prevention And Treatment by Life Extension Foundation, page 22
As you can see from the excerpts taken from credible sources for nutritional information, we need both the fatty acids EPA and DHA from a fish oil supplement. Moreover, we need one that is high in EPA in particular with a special EPA, DHA ration. Unfortunately, not many products sold on the market today contain DHA in high levels and in the correct ratio with EPA…
So as you can, this page has outlined some of the most known Omega 3 fish oils benefits that one can achieve from the directed usage of special supplements.
However, it should be noted here that in spite of having so many health advantages, the use of fish oil may also give rise to certain side-effects!
For instance, nausea, rapid heartbeat, nosebleed, and other health ailments may occur in some individuals who tend to use a higher dosage…. Therefore, it is advised that the user must stick to the directions of the supplement label, as well to the consumers doctor while utilizing the Omega-3 fish oil.
Important side note – To get the most out of these Omega 3 fish oil benefits, omega 3 fish oil should be accompanied by an overall healthy baldfaced diet.